Most businesses depend on two critical aspects to thrive: lead generation and customer retention. Without customers, your business can’t operate, but neither can you survive if you don’t keep your current customers happy and willing to give you recurring revenue and referrals.
Fortunately, email marketing can help with both your lead generation and customer retention efforts, which is why it is a highly effective tactic for businesses in all industry sectors.
There is one challenge many businesses face once they decide to start email marketing – they don’t have an email database!
Here are five ways you can begin to generate a list of email contacts:
- Ask for it: ask and you shall receive! You won’t be able to engage without any email addresses, but you’d be surprised how easily people will give theirs up if you just ask for it. Whether in a physical store or on a website, people are accustomed to being asked for their email address, so don’t worry about scaring anybody away.
- Remind them to subscribe: sometimes people need a little extra encouragement, so don’t be shy to put buttons calling for users to subscribe to your communications everywhere you can. On your homepage, in your blog posts, on social media feeds, in your email signature and even on your contact us page. The more you ask, the better chance they’ll convert.
- Provide incentive: if you’re having trouble generating a list of email addresses, consider adding some incentive for those who give you their information. Offering promotions, discounts, or valuable information via a whitepaper or webinar in exchange for email addresses will be more successful.
- Run a contest: similarly to providing incentive, you could also run a contest and raffle off a product, service, or just a popular item like an iPad. All you need to do is have people submit ballots that include their email address – if your prize is good enough, you’re sure to generate a decent list of contacts.
- Friend referral: once you do start sending out communications, a great way to grow your database is to get subscribers to ‘Forward to a Friend.’ Put a ‘Forward to a Friend’ link in all of your newsletters and drive subscribers to a page where they can type in their friends’ information and you’ll instantly add to your list of contacts!
WSI Chester uses Constant Contact as its chosen email marketing service for both its clients and its own use. This web-based service has many in-built features to help users to grow their lists, as well as providing robust reporting of email open rates, click-thru rates etc., and a wide variety of pre-built email templates.
To learn more about how email marketing can help with both lead generation and customer retention, call WSI Chester today on 01928 787026.